The Teen Outreach Program®
Wyman’s Teen Outreach Program® (TOP®) is an evidence-based best practice program specifically designed for teens in 6th to 12th grade. Guided by an engaging and relevant nine-month curriculum, TOP® reduces the risk of problem behavior while promoting healthy choices and empowering teens to lead successful lives and build strong communities. This cost-effective approach is grounded in contemporary research and nationally recognized as a program that delivers real results.
Wyman’s TOP® works by providing communities, organizations and schools with a tested framework for creating or enhancing local youth development efforts. There are three essential goals from which every teen can build a foundation of success. Those three goals are: healthy behaviors, life skills, and a sense of purpose.
Wyman’s TOP® curriculum is packed in four age and developmentally appropriate levels, and includes:
- Values Clarification
- Human Development and Sexuality
- Community Service Learning
Leading researchers recognize Wyman’s Teen Outreach Program® (TOP®) as a program that delivers real results. The program is grounded in contemporary research and theory regarding the developmental, social and educational needs of young people. It’s proven highly effective in increasing school success and protecting youth from risk factors that contribute to school dropout and teen pregnancy. TOP® is featured as a “best practice” or evidence-based program proven to work various lists from experts in the field.
Wyman’s TOP® is currently listed in the following:
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s National Registration of Evidence based Programs and Practices (SAMHSA’s NREPP)
- Office of Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP): Model Programs Guide
- Harvard Family Research Project. Out of School Time Evaluation Database
- The Rand Corporation’s Promising Practices Network
- FindYouthInfo.gov: The Interagency Working Group on Youth Programs
- HORIZON International: Horizons Solution Site (Yale University and the United Nations)
- Child Trends: Guide to Effective Programs for Children and Youth
- National Dropout Prevention Center
- National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unwanted Pregnancy